Beautiful Golden color
- 4 1/4 cups white all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 3/4 teaspoons yeast or 3 packets of Rapid Rise Highly Active Yeast
- 1 1/2 cups of whole milk
- 5 tablespoons unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 egg yolks to glazing the bread
Poppy seeds or sesame seeds (optional)
Mix the yeast with warm milk, (not hot) let it sit for a few minutes.
- Mix the dry ingredients and butter.
- Pour the milk & yeast mixture into the flour mixture and mix the dry ingredients.
- If the bread dough seems a bit too wet, add a little more flour.
- Roll the dough it into a smooth ball, put the dough in a bowl, move the bowl to a warm location and cover it with a damp towel.
- Let it sit untouched for 1 hour. The dough will double in size.
- Use flour on the surface when rolling if the bread dough is sticky use more flour,
You can decide if you want a big loaf of bread or 2 small loaf.
(photo is of 2 small loaf).
- Start Braiding the bread dough. When done and let it sit for 30 more minutes.
- After 30 minutes, start mixing 2 egg yolk with one teaspoon of water.
- Use a brush or a paper towel to brush the yolk on the bread. Try to brush the yolk on the top of the bread only to keep it crispy. (Yolk will create a crispy top)
- Add poppy seeds or sesame seeds on the painted yolk, (optional).
- Make sure the oven is hot before putting the bread in the oven.
Bake the bread at 350 degrees for 40 minutes if one large loaf, if two smaller loaf bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown on top.
Great with Honey and butter,
Filed under Bread, Breakfast
Round dumplings are generally called dango, and kushi dango means skewered sweet dumplings. These kushi dango coated with sweet soy sauce based sauce are called mitarashi.
Directions for Dangos
1 cup glutinous rice flour
3/4 to 1/2 cup boiling water
1 tsp. sugar
Soak Bamboo skewers in water before adding the dumplings. Tip: as dumpling is grilling the skewers will not burn.
Add rice flour in a bowl than add warm water.
Knead the mixture well.
Make small round dumplings balls. Place the
dumplings balls in a steamer and steam them on
high heat for about 10 min.
Cool dumplings balls and skewer them in bamboo sticks. (4 dumplings on each stick).
*Soak the Bamboo skewers in water before adding dumplings.
*Tip: as dumpling is grilling the skewers will not burn when soaked in water. .
Mitarashi sweet sauce for dangos
2/3 cup water
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 1/2 Tbsp light soy sauce
1 1/2 Tbsp. potato starch mix with 1 1/2 Tbsp water
2 tbsp Mirin (Japanese rice vinegar optional)
For Mitarashi sauce;
Mix Miri, sugar, soy sauce and water in a sauce pan at medium heat.
Mix the 1/2 tsp water and starch in a cup and set aside.
When sauce starts to boil, add starch mixture and mix very quickly. If it is not too sweet add more sugar according to taste.
Grill skewered dumplings and brush sauce over them (optional for grilling) .
You can also add black sesame seeds to the sauce, give the sauce a nice flavor, add as much sauce as you like for dipping.